Saturday, August 18, 2012

Be still, my beating heart...

Van Gogh was just a bit off the mark, when he sliced off his ear as an ersatz Valentine's Day gift for his sweetie. History does not record what exactly her reaction may have been, but you don't need to be a Rhodes scholar to imagine that she probably did not exactly jump for joy!
My latest creation is a small, anatomically-correct human heart (made from polymer clay and soon to be painted as realistically as possible). It will go to good use, you can be sure. More photos as this project continues.
A real heart-on

I'll admit, this was the very first time I have ever tried to sculpt one. Harder than I thought but definitely a load of fun. I had to wear my new bifocals, and look at it under a super magnifying glass, particularly as I added the  muscle striations and arterial network (whew! that was a test for hand steadiness and nerves). 
Now that this one is ready for the oven and once it's cooled down, it will get that paint job and then onward to completion (I ain't saying; you'll just have to check back in the days to come). 


No comments:

Post a Comment