Friday, September 15, 2017

RIP, Basil Gogos ...

So sad to learn that one of the most well-known and prolific "monster" artists has passed away.

Basil Gogos was best known for having created many of the amazing covers for FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILM LAND, a favorite of mine as a young monster kid, growing up in the 1960s and throughout the '70s onward. 
There are even one or two vintage late '60s copies of the magazine somewhere in my collection, including this one below featuring Lon Chaney as The Phantom of the Opera. 
FMOFL magazine in my private collection
I loved Gogos' style - vivid, brightly defined, creepy, funny yet scary, all wrapped in one beautiful package.




NOSFERATU by Basil Gogos



I never got to meet him, though I'd always hoped for the chance.
RIP, dear Sir....  thank you for the memories and nightmares! 
 1949-2017


No comments:

Post a Comment